Contact: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Ophthalmology and Optometry

Vol. 6, Issue 1, Part A (2024)

Efficacy of an isotonic seawater eye wash in patients with mild and moderate allergic vernal keratoconjunctivitis by measuring immunoglobulin E levels in tears: Report 1 clinical trial Gov/USA NCT 04695795

Author(s):

Diaz-Llopis Manuel, Pinazo-Duran Maria Dolores, Diaz-Guiñon Loreto, Rahhal-Ortuño Miriam, Gallego-Pinazo Roberto, Dolz-Marco Rosa, Diaz-Guiñon Teresa, Diaz-Guiñon Maria and Romero Francisco Javier

Abstract:

Background: Vernal keratoconjunctivitis is one of the main and most serious ocular allergic manifestations, with a frequency that has increased alarmingly in recent years. High IgE levels have been correlated with the severity of clinical manifestations of the disease as well as with the development of complications, such as keratoconus and punctate keratitis. 
Purpose and Aim: The objective of this study was to establish the efficacy of eye wash spray monotherapy on the levels of immunoglobulin E (IgE) in the tears of patients with vernal conjunctivitis.
Materials and Methods: Registered prospective study (Clinical Trial Gov/USA NCT 04695795). IgE levels in tears were measured with Lacrytest® before and after treatment.
Study design: A total of 35 patients (70 eyes) with mild-moderate vernal conjunctivitis were treated exclusively with isotonic seawater solution spray 5 times a day for 21 days. 
Results: 82.9% of patients were able to finish the 3 weeks of treatment with a good clinical response without needing any other support therapy such as antihistamines or corticosteroids; this was necessary for the other 17.1%. Before treatment, initial IgE levels in tears were positive in 92.9% of cases. This reduced to 37.1% of cases after treatment, a 55.8% statistically significant (p< 0.01) reduction; becoming negative afterwards. 
Conclusion: Washing with seawater was very effective in drastically reducing IgE levels in the tears of patients with mild and moderate vernal keratoconjunctivitis.

Pages: 24-29  |  94 Views  47 Downloads


International Journal of Ophthalmology and Optometry
How to cite this article:
Diaz-Llopis Manuel, Pinazo-Duran Maria Dolores, Diaz-Guiñon Loreto, Rahhal-Ortuño Miriam, Gallego-Pinazo Roberto, Dolz-Marco Rosa, Diaz-Guiñon Teresa, Diaz-Guiñon Maria and Romero Francisco Javier. Efficacy of an isotonic seawater eye wash in patients with mild and moderate allergic vernal keratoconjunctivitis by measuring immunoglobulin E levels in tears: Report 1 clinical trial Gov/USA NCT 04695795. Int. J. Ophthalmol. Optometry 2024;6(1):24-29. DOI: 10.33545/26648547.2024.v6.i1a.28
Call for book chapter